Thursday, October 17, 2013

"A Day" by William Trevor

I'm absolutely giddy to be sharing this link to The New Yorker where you, Dear Reader, will be afforded the excellent fortune of hearing one of my favorite short story writers, Jhumpa Lahiri, read one my favorite short stories of all time, "A Day," by William Trevor.

Not too mention, Trevor's title is just perfect for the launch of A Short Read a Day.

You'll need just shy of 38 minutes, 28 to hear the story in its entirety and another ten to listen to Lahiri and The New Yorker's fiction editor, Deborah Treisman, discuss it afterwards.

Let me know if you love it as much as I do.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2007/12/17/071217on_audio_lahiri



William Trevor


Jhumpa Lahiri

2 comments:

  1. William Trevor and Jhumpa Lahiri, match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I had probably read this story half a dozen times before I heard this version. I love the melancholy that Lahiri's voice highlights in it. Of course, it's there in the writing, but it didn't translate quite the same in my head, when I read it. Lahiri makes it sadder still, somehow. (Must be my innate, always upbeat nature getting in the way when I read it :)

    ReplyDelete