Monday, November 25, 2013

"Boys" by Rick Moody

Lists

In preparation for Thanksgiving, and then Christmas, I've begun writing my many, many lists, and so it only seems fitting to continue the list thing in my daily readings, too. So, all this week: List Stories! Yeah! Who doesn't love a good list?

When I first discovered Rick Moody's "Boys" I read it over, and over, and over again, out loud, to my husband, and my daughter, and myself, and to anyone else I could force to listen to it. I just loved the rhythm within the story, so complementary to the story itself, and then the poignancy of the story in its entirety.

Here is "Boys" by Rick Moody.

And here is Moody reading the story, himself--although, honestly, I prefer the rhythm that rings in my head when I read it. What can I say?

It's about 18 minutes long. Then, around 26:30, Moody answers a question about the story's origin. (I'll give you a hint: Bennington.)

Rick Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment