Friday, March 14, 2014

"Fires" by Alice Furse

A sad story about a relationship nearly every women has, at some time in her life, I think, "Fires" is part of Litro's The Fairer Sex issue.

Beyond the memories it drudged up for me, of men whose names I don't even remember (although the heartbreak we shared, nurtured, I'll never forget,) Alice Furse's prose--grown no doubt out of her own love of language: "...when even the language of American diners was so delicious. Eggs over easy. Sunny side up. Links. Grits. They really knew a thing or two about breakfast."--is gorgeous.

But, what I love most about this story is experiencing California's culture through a foreigner's eyes, a foreigner with sharp insight and attention to the details we tend to overlook in our everyday. 
Alice Furse

No comments:

Post a Comment