Sunday, October 20, 2013

"Man and Wife" by Katie Chase

I've been thinking a lot about this story by Katie Chase, which was published in The Missouri Review and then 2008's The Best American Short Stories, before it won a Pushcart Prize in 2009.

It haunts me.

Maybe this is because my own daughter is a spindly, and unusually wise, fifth grader and I can't even fathom....

Maybe because, where I live in Las Vegas, we are surrounded by many religions and I'm regularly shocked by beliefs utterly contradictory from my own, reminding me of the importance of recognizing the vastness of the world, and even my own neighborhood.

Maybe because Chase delivers what feels very much like an authentic accounting of a child bride discovering and coming to grips with her destiny.

Anyway, here is "Man and Wife," your Sunday morning read (or listen, if you prefer):

http://www.missourireview.com/anthology/man-and-wife


Coco Rosie and Emma Freeman tell another heartbreaking story of the child bride with this song and film:



For an even fuller understanding of this too common ritual and how it impacts the world on a greater scale, take another ten minutes to watch "Too Young to Wed: The Secret World of Child Brides," an important film by Stephanie Sinclair. 


If you are moved to, take action:




No comments:

Post a Comment