Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Supernova" by Dani Shapiro

"Supernova" is a new story by Dani Shapiro, recently published as part of Electric Literature's Recommended Reading.

I love it. Mostly because it really resonated with me and my own midlife crisis. Shapiro is one of my Lindgrens (you'll need to read the story). It's not that I rowed with her in college; I've never even met her. I don't stalk her on Google either, but I do envy her talent and her success, as I see it from the distance of my own life. Anyway, that her story was the one to remind me that the grass my children play in is pretty damn green, too, was very cool.

But what's especially satisfying about "Supernova" is the fully complicated characters that Shapiro unfolds in just so many words. I've read it several times and each time my heart beats with anxiety to watch Shenkman struggle to communicate with his beautifully quirky son.

Damn, but we're complicated up close, aren't we?

http://recommendedreading.tumblr.com/post/63549024994/supernova-by-dani-shapiro-recommended-by-electric



No comments:

Post a Comment